THE PICKWICK PHARMACY & SODA FOUNTAIN EXPANDS TO OFFER GLUTEN-FREE, SUGAR-FREE, DAIRY-FREE, ORGANIC, VEGAN, AND SPROUTED GRAINS PRODUCTS
With food allergies and organic interest at an all-time high, The Pickwick adds a Health & Wellness Product Line to better serve the Greenville community.
January 20, 2009 (Greenville, SC) – The Pickwick, a locally-owned pharmacy and soda fountain, announced today that it will offer a new line of food and groceries for healthy living including dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, organic, sprouted grains/breads, and vegan products. They have expanded their product offering to strengthen its health and wellness focus. A portion of the introductory food items now available at The Pickwick include foods by Roxanne's Remedies – an Asheville, NC-based company focused on using combinations of macrobiotic ingredients to help strengthen the digestive and immune system.
Some recent figures about the rise of health and wellness products include:
- In a recent CNN episode titled "5 Healthy Food Trends Worth Following," a report from the USDA's Economic Research Service stated that, "Organic food is one of the country's fastest-growing market segments; sales have risen more than 20 percent per year since the 1990s."
- An additional report in the CNN episode quoted a study conducted by the University of California at Davis finding that "...on average, organic produce contains as much as 27 percent more vitamin C, 21 percent more iron, and 29 percent more magnesium compared with traditionally grown foods."
- According to a 2007 OTA (Organic Trade Association) Manufacturer Survey, US sales of organic food and beverages have grown from $1 billion in 1990 to an estimated $20 billion in 2007.
- "Marketers estimate that 15%-25% of consumers want gluten-free food," reported by Kim Painter of USA Today when quoting Cynthia Kupper, executive director of the non-profit Gluten Intolerance Group of North America.
- Alessio Fasano, medical director of the University of Maryland Center for Celiac Research in Baltimore, was quoted in the same USA Today article as saying, "In 2003, just 40,000 Americans had been diagnosed with celiac (gluten intolerance) disease; today, it's 110,00 – and if everyone with the disease were diagnosed, it would be 3 million."
Some of the new featured foods available at The Pickwick include shepherd's pie, pressed seaweed salad, faux egg salad, chickpea salad, spicy noodles, chili, mashed millet, pumpkin mousse, and chocolate mousse. Each of these products is all vegan, gluten, and sugar-free. Some items are available for carry-out only while others have been added to the newly expanded menu at The Pickwick's 1949 soda fountain counter.
Chad Odom, co-owner of The Pickwick stated, "As a pharmacy that's been in business for more than 60 years, we've always had a focus on health and wellness. And, by bringing back the 1949 soda fountain last year, our goal was to embrace families and resurrect traditions – to save a part of history. Today, with the introduction of food products such as gluten free and organic, we feel it shows The Pickwick's commitment to serving the community and keeping abreast with the times. To us, it's the perfect combination of joining the old with the new."
For those that would like to learn more or sample some of the products, The Pickwick will host two no-charge events this week on Thursday, January 22, and another with special guest speakers on Friday evening, January 23 (reservations required). Visit www.thepickwick.net/organics for more information.
The Pickwick is also soliciting feedback from the community regarding their new product expansion in the form of a 10-question survey. The survey asks about the products typically purchased, the frequency of purchases, as well as if the user has any special requests as far as inventory or brands are concerned. To participate, take our online survey.
For more information about The Pickwick, the upcoming events, or their new food and grocery line, call (864) 277-4180, visit www.thepickwick.net/organics or stop by the pharmacy at 3219 Augusta Street, Greenville.
About The Pickwick
The Pickwick is a local, family-owned drugstore that is celebrating more than 60 years in the prescription business. Its customers reside in Greenville County and see The Pickwick staff as an extended family. The employees are knowledgeable, responsive, and have personal relationships with the customers and their families. In addition to boasting fast, no-wait prescription service, The Pickwick offers delivery service, complimentary gift wrapping, and a focus on the schools and community. The business is locally run and owned by a third generation of Odoms, a family born and raised in the city of Greenville.
The Pickwick is located at 3219 Augusta Street. They boast a 1949 soda fountain, serving simple sandwiches heated on a griddle, shakes and malts, root beer floats, fresh-squeezed orangeade and lemonade, hotdogs and chilidogs, 21 flavors of ice cream, and cherry and vanilla cokes. They have also recently expanded to include a new line of health and wellness groceries and menu items, including dairy-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, organic, sprouted grains/breads, and vegan products.For more information, contact The Pickwick at 864.277.4180 or visit www.thepickwick.net.