History of The Pickwick
The Pickwick is a neighborhood pharmacy and soda fountain and has been serving the local community since before World War II. In 1933, The Pickwick began as a soda fountain, founded by Francis Odom and Harold Trammel (Francis' brother in law). The Pickwick was located on Augusta Road near Main Street in the current Warehouse Theatre space, just a block away from Furman University in the area that is now County Square. Many of the patrons were Furman University students who visited The Pickwick for sandwiches, shakes, and cherry cokes.
In 1937, The Pickwick relocated to the other end of Augusta Road -- with financial aid from Francis’ father Rev. Archibald Clinch Odom Jr and Edgar Odom, Francis’ brother. A one room building was constructed and the business resides on this property today. Frank Odom, another brother, joined The Pickwick in 1945.
In 1941, Francis, Frank, and Edgar (who was managing Walgreens on Main St) were drafted to World War II. They joined the Navy, forcing the family business to temporarily shut its doors. In January 1947, The Pickwick reopened with Edgar buying half ownership from Francis and adding a pharmacy and drive-in restaurant to the family soda fountain.
Edgar raised three children, including two boys, Dwight and Robert, who began working at the soda fountain and pharmacy as teenage soda jerks in 1954. And as Edgar’s family and the business grew, The Pickwick needed additional space. They had outgrown their original structure (the former Tack Shop space) and added on, building the current structure in 1961.
In 1964, Dwight joined his father Edgar as a pharmacist for The Pickwick, and several years later, Dwight’s brother Robert also joined the family business. Dwight remains a pharmacist and active in the organization. His father Edgar passed away in 1974 and his brother Robert in 1999.
The Pickwick has always been a family run and family owned business by the Odom family. Dwight recently announced to its customers that the pharmacy will remain in the family. Chad and Kelly Odom, two of Dwight's sons, have purchased the business and will be the third generation of Odoms to service customers at The Pickwick.
Opening in summer of 2007 with architectural renderings by Pazdan-Smith Group, The Pickwick will incorporate a 1949 soda fountain and sandwich shop, similar to the soda fountain The Pickwick once boasted many years ago. Soda fountains located inside pharmacies were the norm up until the 1980s, where they gradually began to change ownership and slowly phase out. Many folks in Greenville grew up spending time in these soda shops and have vivid memories from places such as The Pickwick. The Pickwick hopes to breathe life into those memories and bring the soda fountain tradition back to Greenville.
The Pickwick Pharmacy is a local, family-owned, independent drugstore that is celebrating more than 60 years in the prescription business. Its customers reside in Greenville County and see The Pickwick staff as an extended family. The employees are knowledgeable, responsive, and have been with the pharmacy for a combined 133 years and have personal relationships with the customers and their families. In addition to boasting fast, no-wait prescription service, The Pickwick offers delivery service, complimentary gift wrapping, and a focus on the schools and community. The business is locally run and owned by a third generation of Odoms, a family born and raised in the city of Greenville.
The Pickwick has a long history with the Greenville community and is one of the few locally-owned, non-chain pharmacies that remain in SC. It is located at 3219 Augusta Street in Greenville, SC. For more information, contact The Pickwick at 864.277.4180.